Friday 22 July 2011

Off To Work We Go

Yesterday we got our first glimpse of what's going to lie in store for us at the orphanage, the amount of work that is going to be done, and above all, the need for our efforts there. I will be the first one to admit this, I don't think I have ever worked that hard a day in my life. Picking, shovelling, clearing debris. The fundis helping us, the local workers, were machines, if I was able to work to a fraction of how those guys worked today, I will be proud of the effort I put forth out there today. 

Our day started with the classic piling 28 of us into 2 dala-dalas after breakfast, and heading down to Camp Moses. Once we arrived, we were off to work basically straight-away. Some of the discoveries made while we were all clearing away all of the rubble were … interesting to say in the very least. The garbage, oh my goodness, as deep as 2 or 3 feet deep we're finding wrappers, candles, even sandals of all things! On the east side of our dig site, it was literally a garbage pit. One massive, aromatic garbage pit. Vern and Lisa were champs digging at that thing for the entire day, as far as I know, as well as a number of the girls. I know that's a job I would not have wanted to do. Aside from all of the lovely smells and the sun poking out, these weren't the only factors while we were working. We had another kind of distraction making an appearance from time to time, Joseph. That boy is one of the biggest showmen I have seen, and easily one of the cutest and most charismatic little kids at that. Just wandering over to the mzungus wanting an animal cracker from Sandra or coming for some laughs and smiles, the social butterfly, I'm not sure why, but he somewhat reminds me of myself when I was his age, the kid who wore a green tuxedo and played Jingle Bells on the grand piano at a high end restaurant, all for the sake of being the centre of attention and making other laugh.

Without a doubt, us, as a group, are going to bring home numbers of stories to share with out friends and family, and we each have our own after our first day work, and we are here for 3 weeks. I'm sitting here, writing, beyond sore, feeling extremely proud of the work I did today, and everybody else should today. We really pulled together as a team today, and, no question, are going to do a kick ass job at building this school house, and I'm looking forward to these next 3 weeks unfold.

I miss you tons Mum, Dad, and Liam, and love you lots, and I am looking forward so much to seeing you guys again.

-Thomas Bridson

1 comment:

  1. We are so very proud of you Thomas! Your blog totally made me cry...and lots and lots of Heartsmiles! Love you, son.
    Mum, Dad & Liam

    ReplyDelete